Sunday, 23 January 2011

Part 5: The AFTER Photographs

So here are the photographs of the finished bike, the frame of which was renovated by Argos cycles using a custom paint colour I had in mind for years, which is called Aviator Grey, and was originally used on the Audi TT in 2000-2001.

 The Brooks "Swallow" saddle with titanium rails.

Campagnolo Veloce brakes.

Replacement Reynolds 653 fork decals supplied by the Reynolds factory.  These were the only decals I decided to put on the finished frame.

Campagnolo Veloce hubs salvaged and cleaned up from an old set of wheels I had.

Wheels built using the above hubs, Mavic Open Pro rims and DT Swiss double-butted spokes, finished off with Continental GP4000s tyres.

Campagnolo  Power Torque cups.

Reynolds 653 replacement down-tube decal, again supplied by the Reynolds factory.

One of the few things still to be altered are the skewers, which are a temporary solution until I can obtain suitable Campagnolo concealed cam skewers.

Cinelli Criterium 400mm Bars and Cinelli 1A 75mm Stem.

Brooks honey leather bar-tape, finished off with Hope aluminium end caps.  These still need to be turned down to reduce the diameter slightly as they are a fraction too big, but you get the idea.

These aluminium Campagnolo cable stops are getting harder to find as they seem to have been replaced by a black plastic version, which look nowhere near as good.

The original Campagnolo threaded headset from the original donor bike.  This was a keeper from day one for obvious reasons, and cleaned up nicely!

Campagnolo Aero seat post, which is relatively easy to source second-hand, and the one which I felt suited both the choice of saddle and overall look of the bike best.

Campagnolo 2011 Veloce 10 speed group set.  The pedals still need to be replaced with something more appropriate though!

One result I was particularly pleased with was the head badge, which was stripped back to the natural aluminium so that it matched the rest of the bike, and still left the detailing of the logo in relief.  This was stripped using the (pretty dangerous, but effective!) sulphuric acid method which you can see details of how to do online, which is at your own risk!  When I tried this on the original badge I discovered it was actually plated plastic, so I found a proper aluminium example on eBay for very little, which is the one you can see here.

So there you go!  See below for the full spec.

No comments:

Post a Comment