Sunday 23 January 2011

Part 3: The Donor Bike

This, I knew was going to take the longest amount of time and the most searching.  As the frame I was looking for was so specific, I had to rely on one becoming available second-hand, in the right size and at the right price!  Still, where is the fun without the thrill of the hunt!  Also, until I had found the right starting point I didn’t know what components would be re-usable, and which I would need to replace.

After a few months of looking I finally found and bought a secondhand Raleigh, which appears to be based on that which the late Laurent Fignon won the Milan San Remo on, in the 1989 Giro d’Italia, so not a bad starting point for the project then!

Details:

Frame Serial Number = WH 90 01308 (Worksop June 1990 frame 01308)
Frame size = 57cm
7 speed, mix of Shimano and Campagnolo components